Friday, May 18, 2007

Mullah Dadullah's replacement named

Shahabuddin Atal, the Afghan Taliban's spokesman, has confirmed that the group has appointed Dadullah Mansour, brother of Mullah Dadullah, who was killed on Sunday, as the new field commander. Atal told Ahmad Zaidan, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Islamabad, that the Taliban's spring attacks would not be affected by Dadullah's death.

He said that operations were continuing as planned, led by Mansour. Mansour was freed in March as part of a prisoner swap for the release of Daniele Mastrogiacomo, an Italian journalist kidnapped while working in Afghanistsan. [More]


Comment:

I wonder what the political repercussions of this will be. The Afghan government took a lot of heat for giving in to the Taliban's demands; now one of the people they released has become commander in chief.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sergei this is off topic but. I have been banned from off topic on Newshounds for saying...

"I banned you for this comment:
Unlike Marcotte, Ellen and others at Newshounds are proud little Stalinist zealots"

Here is the problem. I didn't say it. I haven't said anything on Newshounds since very early this morning like 4 or 5 am. I don't know what whoever has my identity has been saying but I swear it is not me.

Stephen

Jimmie Dale Martin, Blogmaster said...

Sergi,
I have injoyed your comments over the past months. I am toning down my rhetoric and puting a lot of past comments in the draft box.
I have taken a press position with the state GOP and it requires I be nice to all GOP types. I still have a couple of blogs that are not traceable to me where I shall still radicalize. You are smart enought to figure them out but I will never admit ownership.

Jimmie D. Martin said...

Yeh you have been bought for filthy lucre and now are a political hack!