Friday, April 18, 2008

Al-Zawahiri: 'Iraq war a failure'

Ayman al-Zawahiri, al-Qaeda's deputy leader, has in a new audiotape said that the US occupation of Iraq has brought only "failure and defeat".

The authenticity of the recording posted on a website late on Thursday could not be independently verified, but it appears to be the second recording in April by al-Zawahiri.

Al-Zawahri, considered to be the network's chief strategist, said that building Iraq as a "fortress of Islam" is the "most important duty" for Muslims.

Passing on problem

Marking the fifth anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq, al-Zawahiri said that the administration of George Bush, the US president, is passing on a "problem" to the president's successor by guaranteeing that a heavy foreign military presence stays in Iraq for the rest of Bush's term. Following the advice of General David Petraeus, the US' senior commander in Iraq, to delay troop withdrawals, the current total of 160,000 soldiers is scheduled to shrink to about 140,000 by the end of July.

"The truth is that if Bush keeps all his forces in Iraq until doomsday and until they enter hell, they will only see crisis and defeat by the will of God", al-Zawahiri said. Al Jazeera's Owen Fay in Baghdad reported: "What is interesting is the timing [of the message] in so far as it relates to the attacks that have been going on here ... It came just after an attack on a funeral, it came two days after a series of bombing attacks across the country that have been blamed on al-Qaeda in Iraq. "The question that people are asking right now, is whether the al-Qaeda leadership in Iraq is reacting to events that have taken place here or if they are directing a new campaign." The deputy al-Qaeda leader also blasted the Awakening Councils, groups comprising Sunni fighters who switched sides and started to work with the US to pacify predominantly Sunni areas of Iraq.

'Liberating' Jerusalem

In Thursday's tape, al-Zawahiri also said a fight to liberate Jerusalem would be launched from Iraq, reiterating earlier statements attributed to Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaeda. In the latter part of the recording, al-Zawahiri decried the "exploitation of Muslims" in Egypt. Citing riots over rising bread prices, he said that those who are "starving the people of Egypt" are the same as those "who are denying food to the people of Gaza", connecting the two as "part of a Zionist-American plot to humiliate the Muslim nation".

Via Al Jazeera.



Comment:

That last part is especially interesting (to me, anyway). I have been following the food crisis, which I have come to think of as the Rebelyon (from the Haitian Rebelyon an Viv!, "Long live the Revolution!"), because I strongly suspect that it will be to the 2010's what terrorism has been to the 2000's. It is interesting to see al-Qaeda begin to stick its tentacles into it.

In other news, I am strongly considering moving this blog to Word Press, and making it more general. Thoughts?

4 comments:

PJ said...

I strongly suspect that it will be to the 2010's what terrorism has been to the 2000's.

Oh, you mean 'evil doers' and their enemies will exploit it in various ways, and this will will be how they stake a claim to existence?

In other news, I am strongly considering moving this blog to Word Press,

I do recommend Word Press, especially if you are concerned, mainly, with writing. Blogger allowed me to customize the HTML of MEGALOPSYCHIA right away, however, with Dj Konservo, I had to upgrade in order to change the design.

But if you like any of the templates that they offer (and I do, I just wanted see what I could do with the custom CSS), there should not be a problem.

Other than that, Word Press is my recommendation. It *may* be a bit confusing at first (at least, I'm told this by some people, I don't think it is), but once you get the hang of it I think you'll like it.


and making it more general.


I don't know... "making it more general" is a pretty generic statement, if you ask me..

Sergei Andropov said...

"Oh, you mean 'evil doers' and their enemies will exploit it in various ways, and this will will be how they stake a claim to existence?"

No. Terrorism isn't being exploited (much), religion is. I think that hunger will lead to increasing instability (cf. Haiti) and, ultimately, to wars.

"I don't know... "making it more general" is a pretty generic statement, if you ask me.."

I'd still be writing about current events; there wouldn't be any posts on, for example, the Middle Frisian poetry of Gysbert Japicx.

PJ said...

"current events"

Oh, I see.

This is going to become an openly Pro-Obama blog. :P

Sergei Andropov said...

Not those current events. Current events relating to world security.